* Financial Polarization and Corruption: Obama’s Politics of Deception
Don’t Let Him Get Away With It…
by Prof. Michael Hudson
The seeds for President Obama’s demagogic press conference on Thursday were planted last summer when he assigned his right-wing Committee of 13 the role of resolving the obvious and inevitable Congressional budget standoff by forging an anti-labor policy that cuts Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, and uses the savings to bail out banks from even more loans that will go bad as a result of the IMF-style austerity program that Democrats and Republicans alike have agreed to back.
The problem facing Mr. Obama is obvious enough: How can he hold the support of moderates and independents (or as Fox News calls them, socialists and anti-capitalists), students and labor, minorities and others who campaigned so heavily for him in 2008? He has double-crossed them – smoothly, with a gentle smile and patronizing patter talk, but with an iron determination to hand federal monetary and tax policy over to his largest campaign contributors: Wall Street and assorted special interests – the Democratic Party’s Rubinomics and Clintonomics core operators, plus smooth Bush Administration holdovers such as Tim Geithner, not to mention quasi-Cheney factotums in the Justice Department.
President Obama’s solution has been to do what any political demagogue does: Come out with loud populist campaign speeches that have no chance of becoming the law of the land, while quietly giving his campaign contributors what they’ve paid him for: giveaways to Wall Street, tax cuts for the wealthy (euphemized as tax “exemptions” and mark-to-model accounting, plus an agreement to count their income as “capital gains” taxed at a much lower rate).
READ the whole post @ globalresearch.ca:
* Occupy This: U.S. History Exposes the 1%’s Crimes Then and Now — 2 of 6
By Carl Herman, National Board Certified Teacher in economics, government, and history, who blogs as the Nonpartisan Examiner at Examiner.com. Carl was one of the leaders who launched the microcredit movement, and is a tireless activist for peace and justice.
- Public recognition of the 1%’s crimes, centering on war and money.
- End war and money crimes that annually kill millions, injure billions, and loot trillions of our dollars.
- Build a brighter future for 100% of humanity, centering on full constructive employment and the creation of money that maximizes public good.
- My Open proposal for US Revolution: end unlawful wars, parasitic economics explains and documents
- war and money crimes so they are “emperor has no clothes” obvious,
- Gandhi and Dr. King’s strategy for victory, with recommendation for a window of Truth and Reconciliation to encourage criminals’ peaceful surrender,
- Historical consideration and today’s possibility of the US creating money to cause full employment and optimal infrastructure. This replaces the Orwellian “debt supply” the 1% creates and controls as their main weapon of dominance (more on economic solutions here).
Article series, with links:
- A revealing current event of our United States: MCA
- Revealing current event: waterboarding and its reporting by corporate media (in two parts, 2a and 2b)
- Past “current events”: Native American treaties, Mexican-American War
- Past “current events”: US overthrow of Hawaii, Spanish-American War
- Past “current events”: World War 1, CIA wars, Vietnam War
- King family’s civil trial for the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
READ the whole post @washingtonsblog: http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2011/10/occupy-this-us-history-exposes-the-1s-crimes-then-and-now-2a-of-6.html