By Eva I. Aten, Greek Salad
The consumers take the power!
I have written before how strange it is that the prices are so high in the supermarkets in Greece, often significantly higher than in other countries. If we look at the prices in relation to the wages as well, it’s really very, very expensive here!
The potato price/kg is about 0,80 €. This price is very high considering that the potato producers get about 0,15 €/kg from the suppliers. As the people in Greece don’t have a lot of money the sales of potatoes has gone down a lot the last year.
The 4th of February potato producers were giving away tones of potatoes for free in Thessaloniki. They thought it was better then to leave them rottening in their store rooms.
That’s when the idea of “The Potato Movement” was born! The producers are selling potatoes in sacks of 10, 20 or 30 kilos directly to the consumers. The price is 0,25-0,35 €/kg and this way the people can purchase more potatoes and the producers are getting a good profit. [...]
- “I DON’T PAY”: ΔΕΝ ΠΛΗΡΩΝΩ ΔΡΑΣΗ ΜΕΤΡΟ ΣΥΝΤΑΓΜΑ 17/2/2012: http://99getsmart.com/?p=2285
- DEN PLIRONO MOVEMENT IN GREECE TAKES ACTION!: http://99getsmart.com/?p=2438
- GREEK STEEL WORKERS ON STRIKE FOR 125 DAYS – VIDEO: http://99getsmart.com/?p=2556
- DEN PLIRONO MOVEMENT IN GREECE TAKES DIRECT ACTION!: http://99getsmart.com/?p=2438
- PROTESTERS CONFRONT POLITICIANS AT DODECANESE PARADE: http://99getsmart.com/?p=2643
- THE KERATEA RESISTANCE: http://99getsmart.com/?p=2359