* OCCUPY WALL STREET CURRENT OFFICIAL DEMANDS, VOTING CLOSED OCTOBER 21, 2011
By Ralph Lopez
At the official Occupy Wall Street media site coupmedia.org. Voting software prevents voting from the same ISP more than once. The following is an initial demands list on which voting closed on Oct. 21, 2011, to be voted on and adopted by General Assemblies. Voting is still open on other demands.
The Sovereign People’s Movement, represented nationally through the people occupying the various Liberty Square locations across this great country, have laid out and democratically submitted and are currently voting on the list of following Demands to then be distilled into one Unified Common demand of the people.
* 25 RULES OF DISINFORMATION
By Eddie Sage
From Twenty-Five Ways To Suppress Truth: The Rules of Disinformation (Includes The 8 Traits of A Disinformationalist) by H. Michael Sweeney. These 25 rules are everywhere in media, from political debates, to television shows, to comments on a blog.
1. Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil. Regardless of what you know, don’t discuss it — especially if you are a public figure, news anchor, etc. If it’s not reported, it didn’t happen, and you never have to deal with the issues.
2. Become incredulous and indignant. Avoid discussing key issues and instead focus on side issues which can be used show the topic as being critical of some otherwise sacrosanct group or theme. This is also known as the “How dare you!” gambit.
3. Create rumor mongers. Avoid discussing issues by describing all charges, regardless of venue or evidence, as mere rumors and wild accusations. Other derogatory terms mutually exclusive of truth may work as well. This method works especially well with a silent press, because the only way the public can learn of the facts are through such “arguable rumors”. If you can associate the material with the Internet, use this fact to certify it a “wild rumor” which can have no basis in fact.
* MURDOCH V. OCCUPY WALL STREET
By The Bloody Cross Roads
If you’re interested in knowing exactly what the elites running this country want you to think about Occupy Wall Street, pay attention to what the right wing propaganda machine has to say. Unlike the “liberal media” outlets, which are also owned by the six corporations that control the mass media and are far more sophisticated forms of propaganda—whereas during the first few weeks they either ignored or ridiculed us they now have to pretend they sympathize with Occupy Wall Street or risk becoming irrelevant— the right wing functions as the overt face of the corporate state. A classic illustration of this is last Wednesday’s front page piece by The New York Post, which portrays Occupy Wall Street protestors as spoiled hypocrites.
It should come as no surprise that The New York Post would stoop to this level, Rupert Murdoch media outlet that it is. But even I was shocked by the disgusting front-page headline on last Wednesday’s edition: “Whine and Dine, Protestors Eat Like Kings,” accompanied by a picture of a fancy looking menu. The article goes on to describe us as a “mob… enjoying rich diet” and “grimy protesters” who are “stuffed into the now-smelly Zuccotti Park.”
* THE CHAMBER SPENDS MORE THAN $4 MILLION IN JUST THREE MONTHS LOBBYING FOR CORPORATE IMMUNITY TO THE LAW
By Think Progress
It’s unclear, however, why the Chamber even feels the need to spend all this money — since they already own an entire branch of the federal government. Often at the Chamber’s urging, the Supreme Court has empowered corporations to force consumers and workers into a privatized, corporate-owned arbitration system that overwhelmingly favors corporate parties. They have given corporations a magic key that will immunize them from class action lawsuits brought by their consumers. And they’ve given drug companies and other major corporations sweeping immunity from state law
* SECRET RELIGIOUS RIGHT GROUP’S ELECTORAL PLANS FOR 2012
By Frederick Clarkson
|It may turn out that a non-profit agency funded by conservative Christian Silicon Valley money men called United in Purposemay be the most important Religious Right entity in the 2012 election cycle.Here is a primer on what we’ve learned so far.|
Then The Los Angeles Times reported that Don Wildmon, founder of the American Family Foundation sent an email to people who had registered to attend The Response, promoting a project of United in Purpose.First there was Rick Perry’s giant prayer rally, The Response, organized by Texas operatives who are leaders in the New Apostolic Reformation. (An international network of dominionist evangelicals.) This Christians Only event drew some 20,000 people — unprecedented in the history of American presidential politics.
United in Purpose is using sophisticated data-mining techniques to compile a database of every unregistered born-again and evangelical Christian and conservative Catholic in the country.
Through partnerships with Christian organizers and antiabortion groups, United in Purpose hopes to recruit 100,000 “champions” to identify unregistered Christians and get them to the polls as part of its Champion the Vote project. Profiles drawn from its database, which numbers more than 120 million people, will enable organizers to target potential voters with emails and Web videos tailored to their interests.
* ALL ABOUT ALEC
By FeltzNook – Daily Kos diarist
… In short, ALEC is a Koch-funded organization (in existence since 1973) which circumvents the need for a lobbying process by having corporations draft the legislation they want passed and then handing it out to state legislators to take back for enactment. ALEC is the source of much of the nearly identical legislation being pushed through conservative legislatures in various states regarding issues such as voter suppression, union-busting, privatizing education, eliminating environmental regulation, corporate prisons, and overthrowing federalism. Others have written extensively on these topics here at DK and elsewhere … please check out the references at the bottom of this diary.
* CHART: HOW INCOME INEQUALITY SKYROCKETED AND THE 1 PERCENT PROFITED FROM THE DECLINE OF THE UNIONS
By Zaid Jilani
… Strong unions have traditionally been the free-market solution to income inequality, allowing people to get higher salaries without government intervention. Unionization has allowed middle class and working-class Americans to have the ability to bargain for stronger wages and benefits and a larger share of national income. Highly-unionized countries tend to have far less income inequality.
Sweden, where 85-90 percent of the population is unionized, is both a prosperous country and one of the most economically equal societies — and that’s in a nation that doesn’t even have a national minimum wage.
* A MOMENT OF PURE ASTONISHMENT, AGAIN
By William Rivers Pitt, Truthout
Tea Party Nation activists calls for small business to “stop hiring,” to protest Obama, Democrats.